Kodi – The Undefeated champion in the streaming sector
Kodi is claimed to be the best media player software by the users across the world. And in this article, you will get to know, why Kodi is the best amongst other apps/ software. If you are a complete beginner with Kodi and don’t have any idea about it, then you have landed at the right article. Here we will explain A to Z about Kodi.
Before discussing the features of Kodi, let me share some basic details about Kodi for the new users. Kodi is an open source media streaming player software. You can download Kodi from its official website. Kodi supports some of the most popular Operating systems like Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, iOS, etc. It can also be installed in all types of PCs, laptops, smartphones, streaming gadgets, gaming gadgets, etc.
Kodi can play most of the video content from the local host, network or the internet. But to play the contents from the internet, you need the help of additional scripts/program called add-ons. Without add-ons, Kodi is just a media player. All this fame and popularity of Kodi is due to the addons. There are thousands of add-ons available out there on the internet. It includes both official add-ons and third-party add-ons.
In this article, we will discuss everything about Kodi, how to install it, how to use it, and how to watch movies and TV shows for free. You can also use the same trick to watch anything for free.
How to install Kodi?
No matter which device you are using, Kodi can support it. As said before, Kodi has extended its support across different platforms like Windows, OsX, Ios, Linux, Android, RasberryPi, etc… You can also install Kodi on other streaming devices like amazon firestick, Roku, Chromecast and a lot more. When it comes to Roku and Firestick, you can’t install Kodi directly. So you need to sideload the app into the OS. The installation procedure is not a complex one. Depending on the device the procedure may vary.
How to install Kodi on Windows PC/ Laptop?
- Go to the Kodi official website.
- Select Windows as your platform.
- And choose installer (32 BIT) if you are using Windows 7 or previous version. If you are using Windows 10, then select Windows Store.
- After downloading the file, open it and install.
- Then just follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
How to install Kodi on Linux PC/Laptop?
- Open the Linux terminal and paste the following code.
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
2. You can find the Kodi from the app drawer.
Just open Kodi to explore the world of Kodi.
How to install Kodi on MacOS?
- Go to the Kodi official website.
- Select MacOS as your platform.
- And choose installer 64 bit.
- And after downloading the file, open it and install.
- Just follow the steps given to complete the installation of Kodi on your MacOS device.
How to install Kodi on Android TV Box, Android Smart TV and Android smartphones?
- If you need to install Kodi on your smartphone, just directly download it from play store.
- If you want to install it on your Android Smart TV/ Android TV Box/ Kodi Box, then follow the steps given below.
- Open the Kodi download page and select Android.
- Then select the ARM version based on your device Bit (32/64).
- After that, the file will be downloaded in the required format. Now copy the file to the device (say Android TV Box/ Android Smart TV) you need to install. Then click on the file to install Kodi on your device.
These are the methods to install Kodi on various devices. Most of the devices use this platform. If you are having any other platform, do let us know. We will update the installation procedure. Installing Kodi is just a first step in enjoying unlimited streaming. Now we will proceed to the basic setup and usage of Kodi.
Kodi setup guide for beginners
Just open Kodi on your device. We will be performing some mandatory steps to setup Kodi for the first time usage. This is a one time process, it takes less than two minutes. Kodi home screen will look something as seen in the image below.
In the following steps, we will be enabling the “unknown source option“. This allows you to install third-party add-ons.
Even though there are a lot of official add-ons, most of them are premium add-ons. You need to pay a certain amount to enjoy the privileges. You can also watch the same contents for free by using third-party add-ons. Who would go for premium add-ons if they can avail the same for free? So we mostly use third-party add-ons to watch TV and movies.
1. Open Kodi on your device and select settings.
2. Select system settings from the settings menu.
3. Select add-ons in the left pane, and enable unknown sources.
4. It will prompt a warning message. Select yes to save the settings.
These are the steps to enable installation from unknown sources. This is a mandatory step for installing third-party add-ons.
How to install addons on Kodi
Before proceeding to the installation procedure, let me explain some of the terms required for proper addons installation.
Add-ons are developed by developers using a basic framework. In simple terms, the basic working of each and every addon are the same. So a developer has to work on the interface and content delivery to develop an addon. But when installing addons in Kodi, it needs a lot of supporting programs for optimum performance. Since these support files are common for most of the add-ons, they are grouped and made as a cloud repository.
A Kodi repository is a database that hosts the Kodi add-ons. It consists of multiple add-ons in various categories like Music, Video, Games, Programs, Fitness, Anime, Sports, etc. These repositories have addon files for the effective performance of Kodi. So it is necessary to install Kodi repositories before installing the Kodi addons.
There are two methods, in which you can install the add-ons.
- Installing via Kodi Repositories.
- Installing via ZIP File.
But we highly recommend you to install the add-ons via the Kodi repositories.
Here in this tutorial, we will take you through the installation procedure of Neptune Rising which is one of the best Kodi addons. It can be used to watch TV shows, movies, and a few other contents. You can follow the same procedure for all add-ons.
Note: Before installing any addon, you need to know the name and location of the repository in which the addon is located.
Neptune rising Kodi addon is located in Blamo repository. And the location of the Blamo repository is “http://repo.mrblamo.xyz/”
Repository installation method
- Open Kodi on your device and select settings.
- Select the File Manager from the system settings window.
- Now select Add Source to add the external repository URL.
- Select None.
- Enter the repository URL.”http://repo.mrblamo.xyz/”
- Give a name for the repo. And select OK.
- Now select add-ons from the left pane
- Select Installer Icon, which is at the top left of the screen.
- Select install from zip file option.
- Select the repo by the name given.
- Now select the repository zip file. (Version may vary)
- Wait for sometime, you will receive a notification stating that “Addon installed successfully“. Though we are installing repo, sometimes kodi may consider small repo as addons.
- Select install from repository option.
- Now select Blamo repository from the list.
- Since we are about to install a video addon, select the category as video addons.
- From the list of available, select Neptune Rising.
- This will open a Neptune Rising installation page. Select install at the right bottom of the screen.
- Now you will see a lot of notifications at the top right of the screen. These are the sub programs/scripts that are are mandatory for the effective performance of add-ons.
- Meta handler and URL Resolvers are the most important scripts/program among all. This is one of the main reason why we recommend to follow the repository installation method.
- These scrapers are the scripts which fetch the video links from the internet.
- Finally, after few minutes, you will receive a notification stating “Addon installed successfully”
- Now select open from the information page.
- It’s time to explore! Select any of your favorite categories.
- They have been subcategorized into various divisions for easy sorting purposes. Here select any sub category.
- Since I selected year, I need to go for an additional step.
- Now from the wide collection of movies or TV shows, select favoriteurite one.
- Here the scrapers will fetch the links from the internet to stream the contents. And while fetching itself the links are categorized by quality like 1080, HD, SD.
- Now it will show the list of servers from which you can stream the movie. Select any of the servers.
- And enjoy the movie!! In the same way, you can watch most of the movies and TV shows using Neptune rising Kodi addon.
These are the steps to install a Kodi addon using Repository. You can follow the same steps to install any of the add-ons. Provided you must know the repository URL of the corresponding add-on.
Hope this article is informative and clear. This article gives insights on the basic working on Kodi. More advanced tutorials are yet to come, so keep following us. And all suggestions and edits are welcome. We would be glad to fix your issue and make your day better.